Free dental clinics offered to students and staff

Morgan Taylor, IV Leader Staff Writer

The Illinois Valley Community College’s Dental Assisting Program will be offering dental clinics that are free of charge to all staff, and students. Community members are also eligible, but must pay a $30 fee.

The clinic will offer dental fluoride treatments, X-rays, and exams that are much cheaper than going to a professional dental office.

Heather Seghi, Dental Assisting program coordinator, said patients in the dental assisting clinic will be required to come in for “an exam and Bitewings (four X-rays) and the dentist will then determine if the patient is a candidate to get their teeth cleaned.”

Though people are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity, it is important to know that there are some guidelines that must be met in order to qualify for a cleaning.

Seghi states that “if you have excessive bleeding in your gums, rampant decay, or have been previously or currently diagnosed with needing a deep cleaning they will not qualify.”

If dental students are unable to clean your teeth for any of these reasons, they will still be able to refer you to a school that will be able to assist you.

If you do qualify for a cleaning they are free for all faculty, staff and students, but $30 for all other members of the community. The IVCC Dental Clinics do not accept insurance.

These clinics started Feb. 3 and they will continue until Friday, May 5.

If you would like to make an appointment, you can contacts Seghi at (815) 224-0359 or the dental lab at (815) 224-0027.