IVCC raises funds for March of Dimes

Laura Lenhausen, IV Leader Staff Writer

Student honors society Phi Theta Kappa raised more than $700 for March of Dimes.

The group sponsored the annual Burgers and Brats for Babies fund-raiser in the IVCC cafeteria on April 5.

“Phi Theta Kappa does the biggest fund-raiser of Burgers and Brats for Babies for March of Dimes,” said former PTK faculty advisor LeeAnn Johnson.

Other members involved in the fund-raiser included Trevor Finnan, Perla Escatel, Lindsey Trager, Nicole Stevenson, Aelsa Butler, Allison Hawbaker and Brandon Miller.

“Part of being in Phi Theta Kappa is being involved in both campus leadership and community involvement. Thanks to our PTK advisors Eric Schroeder, Carmen Hartford, and former PTK advisor LeeAnn Johnson along with many other volunteers and donations, we were able to host a highly successful fund-raiser selling burgers and brats for March of Dimes that hopefully is able to benefit many in need,” said PTK Vice President Nicole Stevenson.

Phi Theta Kappa’s Walk America for March of Dimes team consisted of around 20 people who walked on April 24 at the YMCA in Peru.

This is Phi Theta Kappa’s sixth year in taking part in WalkAmerica.

Former PTK faculty advisor, Julie Sherbeyn, lost a baby about six years ago which inspired students and faculty to get involved, Johnson said.

“Once her students saw what she went through, they wanted to do something to help,” stated Johnson.

“It’s personal for a lot of us at IVCC,” said English/Journalism faculty member Lori Cinotte. “Everyone at IVCC was affected when Julie and her family lost Miriam, and we try to acknowledge that time by supporting the annual fund-raiser”

Even though the WalkAmerica event has passed, people are still encouraged to purchase a T-shirt or make a contribution to help.

For more information, see Johnson in the IVCC Biology Lab, A101.