IV Leader staff sweeps awards at ICCJA conference

Members of the IV Leader staff attended and hosted the annual ICCJA conference April 9-10 at Grand Bear Lodge. Informational sessions were hosted both days for students to attend, in addition to an awards luncheon and keynote speaker. The staff brought home 20 different awards for the 2014 academic year. Pictured left to right: Lori Cinotte, Peggy Schneider, Michelle Grotti, Corey Winchel, Andrea Neff, Michael Westerman, and Kyle Russell.

The staff of the IV Leader, Illinois Valley Community College’s student newspaper, won 20 awards at the annual Illinois Community College Journalism Association conference.

The staff received second place in front page design and third place for general excellence.

Individual awards were presented to:

La Salle: Andrea Neff, third in editorial cartoon, second in editorial, second in feature story, third in sports feature, third in staff editorial; Michael Westerman, second in editorial, honorable mention in sports feature, third in staff editorial; Marshal Herrmann, first and second in graphics and honorable mention in news story; Ryan Foster, second in news photo.

Grand Ridge: Jake Stricklin, first place in news column.

Peru: Brent Bader, honorable mention in feature story.

Spring Valley: Corey Winchel, first place in sports news.

Utica: Kyle Russell, first and second place feature photo, first place news photo, and first and second place sports photo.

IVCC hosted this year’s event April 9-10 at Grand Bear Lodge in Utica. Nearly 150 community college journalists from across the state attended.

A number of local media professionals presented at the conference, including Derek Barichello and former managing editor Lonny Cain from The Times; John Spencer from WAJK/WLPO; Tom Collins, Kevin Caufield, Brandon LaChance and Scott Anderson from the NewsTribune; and Kane Farabaugh from Voice of Democracy.

Andrea Neff of La Salle serves as editor-in-chief for the IV Leader for the 2014-2015 academic year. Lori Cinotte of Spring Valley is faculty adviser for the publication.