Pay to print: Board approves 5-cent per print charge in three IVCC locations

Marshal Herrmann

Sophomore Brett Herrmann of Spring Valley picks up a printout from the printer in Jacobs Library. Starting this summer, those printout will no longer be free.

Marshal Herrmann, IV Leader Media Editor
March 21, 2013
Filed under News

Printing will no longer be free.

Students printing at the Jacobs Library, Learning Commons or the Ottawa Center Open Lab will be charged 5 cents for black-and-white and 25 cents for color. Additionally, the price of copies will be reduced from 10 to 5 cents. Printing will remain free in instructional labs.

The Board of Trustees officially approved on Feb. 19 an Audit-Finance Committee’s recommendation to implement printing fees . The college already charged for copies and will now charge for printouts.

Jerry Corcoran, IVCC President, noted that the college spends approximately $15,000/year on printing costs and that in the 2012 fall semester, students made approximately 220,000 printouts. The Information Technology Committee noted that a charge-per-print system would help eliminate wasteful printing. The minutes of the Audit-Finance Committee noted that Student Trustee Britney Burkart and the Student Government Association “supported charging students for printing.”

To implement this system, the Board of Trustees also approved the $13,762 purchase of three coin/bill machines, one scan station, software licenses, installation and maintenance.

The estimated revenue in the first year is $17,000, which will offset printing costs.

These fees will start in the summer semester.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!