‘Ruthless’ cast list announced

Lindsey bennet, IV Leader Staff Writer

IVCC’s fall musical very nearly wasn’t. “Ruthless!” almost didn’t make it to the Cultural Centre stage.

This “stage mother of musicals” is a crazy, colorful story with hilarious characterizations and sets right out of 1950s and 1960s mod. The musical is often described as being a spoof of Broadway musicals such as “Mame” and “Gypsy and send-ups of “The Bad Seed” and “All About Eve.” The story is full of twists and humor.

IVCC intended to have “Ruthless!” as a fall musical, but after the title was decided on the production’s off-Broadway run was extended, which would have meant a new show would have to be substituted here. However, the royalty company has allowed IVCC to be one of the very few places to perform the musical while the show is still running off-Broadway. It opens in November.

The story is about Tina, a third- grader who is the understudy in her school’s play “Pippi.” Not satisfied with being a mere understudy for the lead, Tina murders the lead and takes the role. When her mother finds out, she’s simply horrified her daughter would kill for a part in a play. “Not just any part,” the child replies, “the lead!”

Tina is contacted by a sleazy agent named Sylvia who wants to guide Tina’s career. It’s a struggle between Sylvia and Tina’s mother, but Tina is ultimately caught and sent off to spend time for her crime. And all of that is just the first act.

Don Zellmer, director and choreographer, is glad IVCC will be one of the few schools to perform the musical. “It’s fantastic to get a hold of it,” Zellmer said. “The script has been restricted for years.”

“Ruthless!”will be performed at 8 p.m. on Nov. 12, 13, and 14, with a matinee at 2 p.m. Nov. 15. Tickets can be purchased online at IVCC’s website or at the theater box office one hour before the show. Student admission is free with school ID.

For more information about “Ruthless!” or any other theater production, click on IVCC’s Fine Arts page on Facebook.